10 Best Weather Station 2019 – Reviews and Our Expert’s Top Picks
Whether your business requires you to keep tabs on your local weather, or you love to keep up to date with temperature, rainfall, and all that weather stuff, you’ll need a reliable personal weather station. Even if you think you can’t afford the best weather station on the market, there are plenty of great weather station options for your budget.
Furthermore, many persons are catching on to the benefits.
Top 3 Best Weather Station: Editor’s Pick
|Ambient Weather Station|
|Davis Weather Station|
|AcuRite Weather Station|
Maybe the weather station reviews you looked at revealed so many impressive weather station options that your mouth drops open and your head spins.
We know the feeling: The confusing technical stuff often gets in the way of the information that makes choosing the best personal weather station such a snap.
But we have done our own research and put together ten recommended weather stations that will certainly match what you need.
Best Weather Station Review:
1. Ambient Weather WS-2902A 10-in-1 Wi-Fi Professional Weather Station
For starters, the Ambient Weather WS-2902A is a ten in one Wi-Fi professional weather station that is included among the best home weather station options and is also affordable. Not only does it feature a weather station console that has two levels of wireless connectivity, but it also provides enhanced Wi-Fi options for connections that allow the wireless transmission of weather data. Now, you can remotely contact your weather station for the latest information on temperature, wind speed and direction, rainfall, humidity, and anything else you need to know.
For best results, you will need an iPad, iPhone, or Android instrument that can be programmed with the AmbientTool app purchased at Google Play or the Apple App Store. Ideally, this weather station works well when its wireless sensors operate in a line of sight of around 330 feet in the open air or 100 feet under other circumstances. With the Ambient Weather Station, you get both current and historical weather data at your fingertips. You will, however, need to plug in your unit so that you can connect to the internet, although the sensor comes with batteries to operate it. You will also receive a mount that can be adjusted to fit most poles you wish to install your weather station on.
- Keep track of the weather situations in your home and backyard with the sharp, user-friendly LCD color display;
- Send up to date weather information via enhanced Wi-Fi connections automatically;
- Conveniently take your personal weather information along with your mobile phone, tablet, or personal computer;
- Measure rainfall, outdoor temperature, wind direction, wind speed, humidity, and UV & solar radiation with your weather station;
- You can also get readings on wind chill, dew point, and the heat index.
2. Davis Instruments 6250 Vantage Vue Wireless Weather Station
Few can dispute that the Davis Instruments 6250 Vantage Vue Wireless Weather Station is one of the best wireless weather station products on the market today. In fact, it is the new Davis weather station model that puts together the Davis’ trademark accuracy and tough durability into a compact weather station that you can easily set up and use. The Vantage Vue Weather Station features a sleek but rugged outdoor sensor array and an LCD console.
So, the 6250 Vantage Vue Wireless Weather Station gives reliable, accurate, weather updates you can always use. It comes as a self-contained weather system that you can easily install without any hassle. Furthermore, this weather station is flexible as it can be used for domestic purposes, recreational purposes, and educational uses. The outdoor Integrated Sensor Suite console of the Vantage Vue is tough yet sleek. Set it up within minutes and send data wirelessly anywhere in your home, business, or school. In addition, every 2.5 seconds the console sends updates to an LCD display screen that you can read day or night. The weather station’s cutting-edge Weather Center button allows other weather historical (25-days) or current data to be shown.
- This weather station is self-contained and includes an LCD console, an Integrated Sensor Suite (ISS), and mounting hardware (the pole is not included);
- Easy-to-read display that is also backlit as well as a keypad that glows in the dark;
- Your weather station reports the latest situations on outdoor and indoor temperature, barometric pressure, humidity, rainfall, dew point, and wind speed and direction;
- The console of this weather station features moon phases, weather forecast icons, weather trend graphs, alerts, and much more.
3. AcuRite 01036M Wireless Weather Station
Maybe you are thinking that the best wireless weather station is not within your reach. Then you have not met the AcuRite 01036M Wireless Weather Station. Simply put, this is the easiest weather station to connect to your computer, smartphone, or tablets to stay on top of your weather updates. Not only does this tool provide easy to understand information on temperature, wind speed and direction, rainfall, and other weather conditions, but it also does so around the clock. You can also set up alerts that tell you when your weather conditions are changing.
With the AcuRite weather station, that you can definitely afford, you are connected to the most accurate weather readings from your home or business. So, if the weather matters to you, there will be no missing out on vital information that you can use to plan your day and your business. Among its great features is its Self-Calibrating Technology to allow accurate, round the clock weather forecasts, PC connection for transmitting weather data wherever you want, color LCD display that you can see both day and night, and the option to use it as a table top or wall mounted unit. The five-in-one wireless outdoor sensor features the hygrometer, thermometer, wind direction vane, wind speed anemometer, and a self-emptying rainfall collector cup.
- The AcuRite Weather Station is equipped with a 5-in-1 wireless weather sensor that is accurate and reliable;
- Keep track of the wind speed, humidity, temperature, and rainfall;
- Connect to your smartphone, tablet or PC to display on a Windows computer through USB, and remotely view your weather online (free software and My AcuRite app for Android and iOS devices);
- With CSV Data Logging your AcuRite provides round the clock updates on weather conditions in your home and business locations;
- Use this weather station to program your weather alerts for humidity, temperature, rainfall, wind, etc. Get email and text alerts on your smartphone when your weather conditions change.
4. La Crosse Technology C85845 Color Wireless Forecast Station
La Crosse Technology is known for producing the best wireless weather station for homeowners. It introduced the Wireless Color Weather Station to the market. Featuring precise weather information in real time, this weather station is a must-have for anyone who cares to know the weather in more intimate details. The animated color forecasts make it easy for anyone, whether a novice or a pro, to understand the trends in temperature, rainfall, wind speed and direction, and barometric pressure.
You can also set alerts to tell you when the temperature and other weather conditions change. Not only are these alerts good for your information, but they also help you to make decisions to avoid disasters, or to take advantage of good weather conditions.
The display is in color in an easy to read format. In addition, your weather station shows the dew point and heat index. Furthermore, this weather station unit is easy to set up and use. While the instructions are not very clear-cut you can still figure things out easily enough to set up the weather station on your own. So, why not choose this accurate and reliable weather station to keep yourself up to date on what is happening with the weather around your home or business?
- Provides dynamic forecasts and shows data trends and patterns;
- Set alerts on humidity and temperature;
- Allows for a comfort level color bar;
- The backlight can be adjusted to your liking;
- Automatically set the daylight savings time as well as the accurate date.
5. AcuRite 01014M Weather Station with Access for Remote Monitoring
The best home weather station you can use to monitor what is happening with the weather around your home or business is the AcuRite 01014M Weather Station. Not only is this weather station the ideal instrument to give you round the clock weather information any time you need it, but it is also quite reliable and accurate. Of course, if you live in an area where the weather changes a lot, then the AcuRite weather station is the tool you will need to keep track of every change in weather conditions.
Connect your weather station wirelessly to your smartphone, PC, or tablet and access information on your indoor and outdoor environment from anywhere you are. With the free AcuRite Apps and software, you can show the weather data on a dashboard that is easy to read. You have at your fingertips accurate and up to date information on humidity, temperature, wind speed and direction, barometric pressure, and rainfall.
Set up alerts with your weather station and Apps to tell you what’s happening, so you can take the right actions. Also circulate your weather information in real time with your friends, family, and colleagues. With the AcuRite weather station, also, you can store a month’s worth of weather readings so that you can easily retrieve and analyze the trends and spot any potential risks. Your kit comes with the AcuRite weather station and a new AcuRite access module.
- Keep tabs on weather conditions in your home or business with your smartphone, tablet or PC;
- The AcuRite weather station works well with Amazon Alexa;
- Alert yourself through your smartphone about any change in weather conditions picked up by your AcuRite weather station;
- Use the information to tell family, friends, and others about the weather in your neck of the woods;
- You can expand the number of devices you connect to your AcuRite weather station to keep track of more things around your home.
6. Ambient Weather WS-1002-WIFI OBSERVER Solar Powered Wireless WiFi Remote Monitoring Weather Station
You might not need to look far before you find that the best wireless weather station on the market includes the Ambient Weather WS-1002-WiFi Observer weather station. Not only is this a reliable and precise weather measuring device, but it is also quite easy to install and use. It is definitely one of the most user-friendly devices on the market.
Your budget also won’t be hurt by the reasonable price offered for one of these weather stations. Trust this efficient weather station for readings on wind speed and direction, indoor and outdoor temperatures, barometric pressure, and humidity. Thanks to its two additional sensors – the UV Sensor and the Solar Radiation Sensor, you can keep track of vital data on the weather around you. So, if your interest is to monitor your home’s weather conditions or you wish to track rainfall and temperature trends for your farm, orchard, or garden, owning one of these weather stations is your best bet.
While the sensors might lose their accuracy over time, the overall benefits of choosing the Ambient Weather Station outweigh the costs.
- This weather station is precise and accurate;
- Wirelessly transmits and receives internet data;
- It sends out wind speed, direction, humidity, outdoor temperature, solar and UV radiation, and rainfall from its all-in-one sensor;
- This weather station provides readings on the dew point and rainfall rates as well as detailed trend graphs on temperature, humidity, and barometric pressure.
7. La Crosse Technology S88907 Vertical Wireless Color Forecast Station with Temperature Alerts
What should you expect from La Crosse products but the best wireless weather station products that are top of their class? That is what you will get with the La Crosse Technology S88907 Vertical Wireless Color Forecast Station. Featuring precise weather forecasts and animated color graphs showing the weather trends in your area, this weather station offers you more, and then some.
As with every La Crosse product, this weather station offers high-quality functions at a reasonable cost. It tells you when the barometric pressure in your area changes, the comfort levels of your indoor areas, and it keeps track of your indoor and outdoor temperatures, among other things. With this weather station, you can rest assured that you won’t miss crucial information and signals about your local weather ever again.
Features you will love include the large easy to read and bright colored display, sensitive remote sensors, easy to set up unit (plug and play), and the convenient fold-out stand you can mount it on. Other features you would need to get used to include the rear controls for brightness, high and low temperature setting, and dew point readings. It is a little difficult to read from an angle – you must face the display directly.
- Weather Station keeps up to date information on indoor and outdoor humidity, temperature (Fahrenheit and Celsius). It also gives real-time alerts;
- It is powered by a 5.0 Volt AC adapter for the display, two AA batteries (Alkaline) for the Sensor, and optionally, three triple “A” Alkaline batteries (for backup);
- Weather Station: 6.1” W x 9.6” H x 1.06” D
- The weather station’s remote sensor picks up information on the weather conditions where it is mounted;
- This weather station gives real-time readings on the temperature, wind speed, and other weather information that you can use to plan your day. It also gives reliable weather forecasts.
8. Netatmo Weather Station Indoor Outdoor with Wireless Outdoor Sensor
Catch up with the weather in your area with the best personal weather station available – the Netatmo Weather Station. It allows you to measure the weather conditions in your home or business right from your Android or iOS smartphone, tablet or PC.
Your Netatmo Weather Station delivers readings on humidity, temperature, Carbon Dioxide concentrations, and barometric pressure. You receive these readings wirelessly and seamlessly on your smartphone. With this weather station, keep up to date on the indoor and outdoor weather conditions whenever you choose.
Not only does the Netatmo Weather Station provide reliable weather information whenever you need it, but it also gives warnings and alerts on pollution, air quality, and outdoor weather conditions. You might find it a little daunting to set up the weather station up the first time, but carefully read and follow the instructions and you will get the hang of it. Also, make sure that your wireless connection is reliable to keep this weather station functioning at its best.
- This weather station gives outdoor and indoor temperature readings, air quality, humidity, barometric pressure, and indoor noise levels;
- Get real-time notifications on your smartphone from your weather station, also provides ventilation alerts to let you know when to air your home out;
- Use your smartphone, tablet or computer to tap into your weather data provided by your Netatmo Weather Station;
- Allows you to review past weather information from the data history stored in the unit, also provides graphs so you can see the weather trend;
- Provides seven-day weather forecasts so you can be prepared for any situation;
- The Netatmo Weather Station which can be used indoor and outdoor is a sleek and stylish design for y our home;
- Easily connect your weather station to Wi-Fi with a free app you can download.
9. Kestrel 5500 Pocket Weather Meter
The best personal weather station that is also lightweight and portable is yours when you purchase the 5500 Pocket Weather Meter. Despite its pocket size, it is a complete weather meter that measures temperature, wind speed, humidity, direction, and pressure. It can measure fourteen weather parameters, carry out various functions, and easily link to your smartphone.
Not only does this hand-held weather station carry out many functions, but it is also easy to use, with a user-friendly display that everyone will be comfortable with. The graphing display is large and readable both during the daytime and at nights. Your 5500 Pocket Weather Meter is also durable and waterproof, so you don’t have to be concerned about it being easily damaged. It comes with an attachment weather vane, so you can mount it like a camera on a tripod anywhere in your location that is suitable.
- Lightweight and portable weather station;
- Features a data logger that also produces graphs and big sunlight-readable displays, comes with a tripod vane and allows the option to mount;
- This weather station unit measures temperature, wind speed, pressure, direction, and humidity;
- Capable of providing measurements for fourteen meteorological parameters which are calculated and displayed in real time;
- Provides measurements like density altitude, dew point temperature, and wet bulb temperatures in high resolution.
10. Wireless Weather Station with Indoor / Outdoor Wireless Sensor and USB Charge Port.
With this well-designed home weather station, you can get extra weather information from sensors that can be used inside or outside. Not only does this weather station tell the date and time (which for US users are set automatically), but it also tells what the outdoor and indoor temperatures are. It also shows the humidity of the area, moon phases, Barometric pressure, and gives the forecast of the weather for up to eight hours.
At seven inches tall, this home weather station also has a built-in stand and is a great addition for your home. Furthermore, this unit is convenient as an alarm clock in your bedroom complete with snooze functions and backlights you can adjust. In addition, this TG646 Weather Station connects up to 3 sensors simultaneously so that you can get multiple readings.
You will need two AAA batteries to get the remote sensor going and the weather station is easy to connect to the main unit using the mains adaptor that is included. You also have the flexibility to use two AA batteries in the main unit, so you can move the weather station around. This home weather station is also equipped with a USB port (found at the back) for you to charge other devices.
- This is a tabletop unit and not designed for hanging on walls;
- You can switch temperature readings between Fahrenheit and Celcius;
- Weather station records the minimum and maximum temperatures. The temperature ranges are 32 F – 122 F (indoors) and -4 F to 140 F (outdoors);
- This weather station unit has a range of up to 60 meters in open space;
- Visually displays upcoming weather (six weather types) and the phases of the full moon;
- Comes with a USB port for charging other devices;
- Size: 7” x 4.5” x 1.4” or 18cm x 11cm x 3.5cm.
Buying Guide: Things To Consider When Select Weather Station
So, you want to buy your own weather station but are not sure what to choose. There are so many options, it is easy to get lost. When choosing from the best home weather station offerings on or offline, here are a few things to consider:
Select a reputable brand that you can trust. Make sure that the weather station being offered comes with a warranty as well as local support. The last thing you need is a weather station that quickly breaks down and there is no warranty or support for it. No need to spend extra because of this.
The weather variables:
When buying a weather station, check whether it can report on more than one weather variable. This means the temperature, rainfall, humidity, wind speed and direction, barometric pressure, and all the usual weather-related things you need to know. Note, though, that the more features your weather station supports, the more it is likely to cost.
This brings us to your budget. Weather stations come in different styles and features, and as such will cost anywhere from dirt cheap to astronomical. Consider how much you are willing and able to spend when choosing your weather station. If you are on a tight budget, consider choosing a weather station that will give you pretty much what you need to know without the bells and whistles. If, however, cost is not a major impediment, you can reach for the weather station that carries as many features and functions as you like.
How you install it:
Most weather stations on the market today are easy to install. That is what you would need to consider when choosing your next best home weather station. The device should be already assembled and easy to set up and connect to your Wi-Fi network. Installation instructions are usually provided to make it easier for anyone to follow. Check that your weather station has all the components and they are already assembled and easy to set up. Mounting your weather station should also be easy and you should also have numerous mounting options.
The beauty of modern weather stations is the ability to send data remotely to various devices. This is possible through the maximum distance that its signal can travel. When selecting your weather station, go for the one that has an extended transmission distance.
It goes without saying that accuracy is a feature of the best weather station money can buy. Not only should the various readings be accurate, but they should be clear and easy for the user to read and understand. Therefore, the display should also be easy on the eyes.
The ability of your weather station to provide frequent updates in real time is an important consideration. This is a crucial function that makes it worth the cost of your weather station. Not only are you provided with relevant weather information whenever you want it, but it is also a convenient feature that you can rely on whenever you need to make certain important decisions about your home or business.
Best Location to Install a Personal Weather Station
For the most accurate readings from your weather station, it is vital that you set it up in the best location in your home or business.
Here are the recommendations:
- Humidity / Temperature Sensor – Put this sensor on a natural, flat surface inside a radiation shield, placed so that you can see it at eye level – between 4 feet 1 inch and 6 feet 7 inches above the surface. Ensure that horizontally the distance is at least two times the height of any nearby obstructions. Don’t place it near artificial heat sources.
- Anemometer – Set it at around 33 feet above the ground. The horizontal distance should be ten times as long as the height of the closest obstacle. If, however, you did not set up the anemometer on the top of a mast, ensure that it is placed around 3 times the diameter away from your main mast.
- Rain Gauge – Ensure that this is set up above the ground at a height of between four to six feet. Position it at a horizontal distance of no less than four times the height of close obstacles.
- All-In-One Sensors – For this type of weather station you would need to make a judgment call on the ideal height of your anemometer and the other sensors. For best results, set it up no lower than 10 feet.
In rural areas, it is easier to find suitable locations away from obstacles to mount a weather station. In suburban areas where it is impossible to mount on tall masts, available structures like on top of roofs or on eaves with side mounts or tripods would suffice. To prevent lightning strikes on your weather station mounted on a metal mast, run a ground wire.
Frequently Asked Question About Weather Station
Why do I need a Weather Station at home?
One of the benefits of having your own weather station installed in your home or business is the savings you make on heating and cooling bills. Certainly, with accurate and real-time weather data from home, you will be able to make certain decisions on how much energy to use for heating or cooling your location. Without this information, you will experience certain inconveniences because of changes in weather conditions. Your weather station allows you to keep track of various weather conditions including the temperature, barometric pressure, wind, and rainfall. You then can take action that will save you money big time.
Where should I locate my hub?
The hub of your weather station is best located inside your house. It should also be plugged in and be within the range that allows the Wi-Fi router to connect with it. That way you have a strong and lasting Wi-Fi connection that is also within the range of your other weather station devices. Communication among the various devices will be allowed once your hub is set up correctly. Do not put your hub behind cement walls and anything that would block the signals.
Will my weather data be the same as reported on my local weather station?
The weather report you get from your weather station is related to your home or business and not the wider neighborhood. Your weather station will pick up the temperature, humidity, wind speed and direction, and other weather conditions of your home (or business) locations only. Depending on how you set up your weather station, you will receive data that are unique to that location. So, in most instances, your weather data will not be the same as the weather report you see or hear on local TV or radio stations. That does not mean that your weather station is inaccurate, only that the data applies to specifically to your physical location.
Are the stations difficult to set up?
Generally, weather stations are quite simple to set up and install. You don’t need special skills to mount and connect your weather station and its components. The instructions that come with the weather stations are also quite helpful so that installation and connection of your weather station is a snap. While the components are easy to install for those who can do it themselves, it does not hurt to also get help to install components like the anemometer, or the weather vane.
It is not easy to choose a weather station if you don’t know what to look for. With so many options out there, it is easy to get confused and frustrated. Thankfully, there are a few reliable weather station reviews that provide helpful tips on the best home weather station to buy. By now, you should have an idea about the kind of weather station you need to use. If you are still unsure about the weather station you need to get, take time to learn more about the great options available and then choose the one that best meets tour needs and expectations.